My Official Bio
Ralph was born, raised, and still resides in the state of Massachusetts where he lives with his daughters Alexa and Talia. A graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design (BFA, Illustration, 1985), Ralph has illustrated for magazines, newspapers and books, created posters and prints, and shown his fine art paintings in galleries throughout the world. Beginning with The Icky Bug Alphabet Book in 1986, Ralph has become internationally known for the children’s books he’s written and illustrated. Since 1987, he has visited over 2,600 schools all over the world, inspiring children with his life story, humor, and art. While visiting schools, he is often inspired himself by the enthusiasm, creativity, and hard work of the students and teachers. This led him to create his unique “How to Draw” book series. The most recent, Ralph Masiello’s Fairy Drawing Book was released in September 2014 to rave reviews. In 2011, his work appeared in a strange and mysterious book called The Mystic Phyles: Beasts, which is the first in a series of books sure to become instant classics. Coming in the Spring 2017 is the Ralph Masiello’s Alien Drawing Book and Fall 2017 is the Ralph Masiello’s Train Drawing Book.
My Unofficial Bio
In 1961, the year of the Ox, I was hatched from an opal colored dragon egg that lay in a dung heap on a skunk cabbage farm near my parent’s house. Taking pity on me, they raised me as one of their own, but always wondered about me. They knew I was “different” from my brothers somehow.
* I ate Brussel sprouts.
* I liked the color purple.
* I liked to watch television standing on my head.
* I played with toy knights, not those green plastic toy soldiers that my brothers enjoyed.
* I drew pictures while hiding under my bed, where I talked with my friend, Charlie Pistachio, the little nut man who lived under my radiator (heater).
* I stared at the clouds for hours on end.
* I went to the College for Children Born from Dragons where I studied Artistic Alchemy. I graduated and became the Grand Poobah of the Artistic Wizards Guild.
* Through a mixture of mythology and alchemy, my two daughters were born after hatching from a similar egg lying in a dung heap.